Thursday, December 4, 2014

Plants by Post



Sometimes one needs to present oneself with a present. The internet has made it so much easier to order things from all over the world that most things are now only a few mouse clicks away from delivery. Plants can also be ordered online, ranging from seldom-found tiny bulbs to 12 foot trees. But not only dormant plants can be ordered online!

In the past I have ordered plug plants online. So when I found a grower of ferns and ivies, I could immediately see the potential future for a shady patch in my garden. During the process of looking at pictures and ordering online I became quite greedy, probably selecting more plants than will fit the area. But allowances must be made for possible casualties - at least that what I'm telling myself.

When the box finally arrived it was somewhat of a surprise as the Royal Mail tracking website had been on "ready for dispatch" for three days and didn't switch status to "in delivery" until after I had signed off the package. Like a kid at Christmas I immediately started to unpack...



A large cardboard box was handed to me by the delivery man. Inside was a mass of shredded newspaper packed tightly around the plants, that were individually wrapped in paper. This meant each plant was like a little present. Once unpacked I had 11 plants varying in size from 15 to 60 cm, each with a small root ball and a label.

No comments:

Post a Comment